Last week, I was having a phone conversation with a friend about our busy lives and she brought up how much work meal prepping and cooking weekly can be very time-consuming.
This led to me sharing my secrets to how I get things done quickly in the kitchen so it feels less like work and minimizing my time also, I brought up my purchase of an instant pot over 6 months ago and just I much it really helps take a load off while providing me fast and delicious meals.
It occurred to me that there are still people out there that either do not know about the Instant pot and its benefits or are just on the fence on whether to buy one or not.
Therefore, I will be sharing the pros and cons of using the instant pot to make cooking much easier. Psst, lots of pros in my opinion, haha.
Okay, let’s get to it.
What is an Instant Pot exactly?
Instant pot is a multifunctional pressure cookers that supports everything from baking cheesecakes, making the perfect frittata, batch cooking meals, slow cooking and making deliciously fluffy rice.
If you have a meal in mind, the instant pot can pretty much cook it for you in a fraction of time, it would take for you to make it on the traditional stove top.
Best of all, it is super easy to clean. This is perfect if you are like me and washing dishes is not your most favorite thing in the world sans Justin Timberlake or country music, yup, that’s my music taste, unapologetic.
Models of Instant Pot
They come in 6 different models, some models have more food preset than others. Find below a list of their models:
- Instant Pot Duo : This instant pot model is the best-seller because it is perfect for beginners to advanced users. It includes cooking preset such as pressure cooker, rice cooker, slow cooker, steamer, warmer, saute and yogurt maker. This model comes in 3,6 & 8 quart size.
- Instant Pot Duo Plus: This model is great for beginners but especially for parents because it has a sterilize preset which is great for feeding bottles and toys. You can even make homemade baby food and save the cost! It is a 9-in-1 appliance with soup/broth, meat, chili/bean, steam, slow cook, saute, rice, sterilize, yogurt, egg, pressure-cook and cake preset. This model comes in 3,6 and 8 quarts.
- Instant Pot Lux : The Lux model is similar to the Duo model. It has 10 built in presets- soup/broth, meat/stew, bean/chili, steam, slow cook, pressure-cook, saute, egg, rice and porridge. This version comes in a variety of styles and colors such as blue, red, purple and some floral patterns. It comes in 3, 6 & 8 quarts.
- Instant Pot Ultra: This model is my personal favorite. It is a bit more advanced, it allows for complete custom programming of pressure/non-pressure cooked meals. It does not have the tech savvy-ness of the Smart Wi-Fi model, however, it supports all the presets of all its preceding models. This model comes in 3,6 & 8 quarts.
- Instant Pot Smart Wi-Fi: This instant pot is perfect for the tech savvy because it provides the ability to remotely control your pot and also monitor your cooking. How cool is that!. Cooking preset include pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker, yogurt maker, saute, warmer, steamer and cake maker. It also comes with over 750 pre-programmed recipes which you can access on your mobile device and try out in your own time and pace. This pot only comes in 6 quarts.
- Instant Pot Max: It is the super pot of them all. It has up to 8 hours of pressure-cook time, it has a touch screen feature and include all the cooking preset of all models including a pressure canner! This pot for now only comes in 6 quarts.
Depending on your needs, you can pick which pot size works best for you, I own an Instant Pot Ultra 6- Quart because the size works great for my batch cooking.
The numerous cooking preset available for you to use with each one might seem pointless. However, I have found that each preset has been carefully designed to ensure that they generate the perfect chili or soup or whatever it is been built for. This helps you not overcook or burn your meals. So, take those preset on a test drive, you will not regret it.
Which Size Should You Get?
If you are interested in a model that has more than one size available to buy, there are several factors to consider on which is best for you.
- Is it intended just for you?
- Will you be using it for batch cooking or meal prepping?
- Do you find that you host people over often?
- How big is your family size, if it is not just you
3-Quart: This size is great if you are single and are only interested in cooking meals that you can consume in less than 3 servings. It can also be an option if you are interested in controlling the amount of food you cook.
6-Quart: This is perfect for meal prep and works for a family size of 2-5 people. You have enough leftovers to last for a few days.
8-Quart: This is quite a big pot, so it is perfect for batch cooking, preparing meals for a crowd of 6 or more.
- It is perfect for beginner to advanced cooking.
- It saves time in the kitchen.
- It is a perfect substitute for a traditional stove top.
- It has a great feature that can keep food warm for hours.
- There are so many resources online for recipes.
- Supports freezer to pot recipes.
- You can cook large batches of food within a small frame of time.
- Clean up is super easy.
- It is very energy efficient.
- Some models are overwhelming for beginners.
- It can be quite expensive.
- The maximum pressure-cooking time varies depending on the model you choose to purchase.
In my opinion, you can not go wrong with whichever model you choose to buy. They operate in similar ways, the biggest difference I have found among all these models is that some allow for a longer slow cooking/ pressure-cooking time and they also vary in the number of cooking presets included in each model.
I chose the Instant Pot Ultra because of that, the extra preset and longer pressure-cooking time. Also, I bought it while Amazon was having a sale, it was a win-win for me.
Remember that, this appliance is to help cut your cooking times while not giving up eating delicious and healthy meals.
I would love to hear from you on how this appliance is helping you out in the kitchen, I am also happy to answer any questions you might have about it if you are in the decision phase or just have general questions on how to use it.